These reports display the percentage of sole proprietorships in each industry that report positive net income, and the proportion of revenue reported by profitable firms. Because owner compensation is most concentrated and reported as net profit in sole proprietorships, this category provides the most useful profit risk indicator.
This Net Profit Risk measure is good information for those considering a startup operation in a specific industry, but the Net Profit Risk metrics presented at BizStats are not the same as a failure rate, which measures the percentage of businesses that actually fail over a specified time period.
Begin your Sole Proprietorship Profitability-Risk report search here:
- Retail Trade
- Building Material and Garden Equipment and Supplies Dealers
- Clothing and Clothing Accessories Stores
- Direct Selling Establishments
- Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses
- Electronics and Appliance Stores
- Food and Beverage Stores
- Furniture and Home Furnishings Stores
- Gasoline Stations
- General Merchandise Stores
- Health and Personal Care Stores
- Miscellaneous Store Retailers
- Motor Vehicle and Parts Dealers
- Sporting Goods, Hobby, Book, and Music Stores
- Vending Machine Operators
If you need more detailed industries, a longer time series or deeper statistical analysis, Bizminer Micro Firm Profit & Loss Profiles report on more than 6,000 lines of business in a variety of sales class versions.